Start an RSO
Have an idea for a new organization? That’s great!
First - Did this student organization exist in previous years? Contact the Office of Student Engagement if you are unsure and want to check.
If the RSO has not existed before, it is easy to start an RSO! Once your registered student organization is recognized through the Office of Student Engagement, you are eligible for numerous benefits including:
- The ability to host events on campus
- Free or reduced-cost reservations in many of the University’s facilities
- Eligibility for Student Government funding
- Solicitation under the student organization’s name
- Participation on many campus events that are exclusive for RSOs
Follow the below steps to get started:
- Collect the names and SIU email addresses of at least 10 currently enrolled SIU students that are interested in joining your organization. *Students will be verified*
- Contact a full-time SIU faculty or staff member to be your advisor. ensure that he/she/they are interested in advising the organization.
- Create an organization's constitution. Click here for a sample organization constitution.
- Visit Saluki Connect to complete the application. Your student organization’s registration packet will be reviewed and forwarded onto either the Internal Affairs Committee (IAC) of Undergraduate Student Government (USG) or the Graduate Professional Student Council (GPSC) for approval. this approval process could take up to 4-6 weeks.
*Information regarding meeting times will be communicated with student organizations once the packet has been reviewed.
- After approval from either USG or GPSC, the new student organization will need to schedule a meeting with a member of the Office of Student Engagement (OSE) to complete a New RSO Orientation. Please e-mail to schedule your appointment. In the subject line of your email, include: New RSO Orientation Request. Certified officers will need to attend an RSO Orientation. Your advisor is welcome it attend as well.