Start an RSO
Have an idea for a new organization? That’s great!
First - Did this student organization exist in previous years? Check out this list of previous RSOs that currently are not active at SIU. Contact the Office of Student Engagement if you wish to reactivate any of these organizations.
If the RSO is not on the above list, it is easy to start an RSO! Once your registered student organization is recognized through the Office of Student Engagement, you are eligible for numerous benefits including:
- The ability to host events on campus
- Free or reduced cost reservations in many of the University’s facilities
- Eligibility for Student Government funding
- Solicitation under the student organization’s name
- Participation on many campus events that are exclusive for RSOs
Follow the below steps to get started:
- Collect the names, email addresses and SIU DawgTags of at least 10 currently enrolled SIU students that are interested in joining your organization. Use this form *Students will be verified*
- Contact a full time SIU faculty or staff member to be your advisor. Your advisor must complete and sign this form
- Create an organization constitution. Click here for a sample organization constitution.
- E-mail documents from #1-3. Your student organization’s registration packet will be reviewed and forwarded onto either the Internal Affairs Committee (IAC) of Undergraduate Student Government (USG) or the Graduate Professional Student Council (GPSC) for approval.
*Information regarding meeting times will be communicated with student organizations once the packet has been reviewed.
- After approval from either USG or GPSC, the new student organization will need to schedule a meeting with a member of the Office of Student Engagement (OSE) to complete a New RSO Orientation. Please e-mail to schedule your appointment. In the subject line of your email, include: New RSO Orientation Request. Certified officers will need to attend an RSO Orientation. Your advisor is welcome it attend as well